Monday, April 4, 2011

Katie

My eighteen -year -old daughter is autistic and bi-polar with psychotic episodes. I have never expected her to move out and do the adult thing on her own. She has a  lot of problems and she needs help every day. I thought I was the only one that could possibly help her with the trials she faces every day. ( I have to admit that my hubby proved to me long ago that he is perfectly willing to help Katie with almost anything- the girl stuff is my ballgame though LOL) I expected to grow old with Katie living with me and Danny. And I had resigned myself to having a woman-child that forgot to take her meds because she was busy playing Pokemon or neopets or play station... But that was before we were told about the Carl Perkins center in Paintsville. It is a vocational rehabilitation center for young adults that are mentally and physically disabled. The center is a wonderful place with its own hospital attached to the complex. The people are understanding , intelligent and kind. It is also a last chance facility for children with problems that get into trouble with the law. And it is understood that everyone there has their own battles, everyone is equal. I suppose the only real difference in how they are enrolled is that the physically disabled kids live in assisted living, the mentally disabled are placed in the dorm where they can also be helped but have a sense of freedom , and the state wards (last-chance kids) are stay in their own wing. The state wards aren't allowed to go home on the weekends either but this place pus the emphasis on rehabilitation for these kids and their parents are welcome to visit and the counselors take them on special trips on the weekend , even if it is just a trip to Wal-mart to spend their allowance. Everyone has duties to perform. Some carry out the trash, or vacuum the halls, and some work in the food service. It is a wonderful program the teaches personal responsibility and life skills along with addressing the specific needs of the individual. They do OT,PT and all the personal therapy the student needs. They even have medical doctors and psychologists that live in house for most of the year .

 I cannot express how excited I am that Katie has the opportunity to learn life skills , take college readiness courses and have others encourage her to live her own life. First they take the time to show Katie that she can do the things she needs to do to live on her own. They are even going to teach her to drive. Then she will choose a college readiness program that will eventually- only when she is ready- help her choose a college and a degree. And they will do 99% of her basic college courses there in-campus.
 I wonder how long it will be before Katie is calling me to tell me that I won't be coming to pick her up on Friday because the counselors are doing something that weekend that she wants to participate  in. Until then, though, I will be there every Friday afternoon ready to take her home til Sunday evening. It is a 2 hour drive and we will be doing it three times a week in most cases. But the Fam has agreed to help with those trips. I just thank God for this opportunity for Katie to expand her personal horizons.

 This is Katie and she is officially a resident-student of the Carl Perkins vocational  rehabilitation center...

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good lord it is like MY kid is going off.. EEEK. Tell her I am so proud of her for taking this step and proud of you for letting her..